Holden has just started throwing mini-tantrums or "man-
trums" as Shane likes to call them. I know this is a natural part of becoming a toddler, however they are not fun. Shane and I have been reading up on what to do in the event of a tantrum but I would love to get some suggestions and help from any of you seasoned mothers out there. What do you do when your kids throw their body on the ground like a limp noodle and scream? I would love some advice, as I know we have a lot of years of tantrums ahead of us!

8 comments:
Thankfully our kids never threw full blown tantrums where they would throw themselves on the floor, but they could display their frusteration in other ways---yelling, hitting, throwing, pouting, etc.
When I see that they are getting frusterated, I would just talk to the kids and figure out what is really going on, then support them and love them.
Good luck, it will pass quickly!
Oh we call these "four point" tantrums at our house :) Best thing any of my friends ever told me to do about them was to ignore them. Try going into the next room. You'll be amazed at how quickly it resolves itself. Can't wait to see you guys!
Ellie has been doing the same thing! I ignore her. She eventually gets up, although sometimes she's not completely over the tantrum but she's always calmer and easier to deal with.
Like father, like son . . . only Holden has started these little "mantrums" earlier than Shane did. Maybe he will end them sooner, too.
I used to have tantrums as well. . .I think i did it when i was older too though. :) I agree w/ everyone else--try to ignore them and pretty soon Holden will tire or maybe try to introduce something new to play w/ or do and maybe he'll forget why he's so mad. who knows though--i'm not a mom quite yet!!
I agree with the ignore tactic. Jill is a lifelong tantrum thrower and Nathan has just joined the club so there is ALOT of ignoring going on in our household! :)
I remember when Jill threw her first huge tantrum in public. We were in the GAP and she desperately wanted to push the stroller around. The problem was that she wasn't tall enough to reach the handle so I had to hold her up in order for her to push. I finally got tired of the game we were playing and she lost it. I just remember trying to carry her (flailing of course) and push the stroller out of the GAP, meanwhile feeling like EVERYONE in the store was staring at me. Ahhh, memories!
Hang in there!!
Hi Becky, Kimberly was our sweet little girl but every so often she would throw herself on the ground and as Don would say "Act like a nut.."!!! We would make sure she was safe and totally ignore her...most times she would calm herself down and forget about whatever was making her soooo mad!! (It still works today!)HA! Love, Deniece
Ignore Ignore Ignore! I've had some professional advice on this and it really works - and when we say ignore we mean completely - no eye contact, no touching (even if they come up and want to be hugged), nothing until there is no more screaming. Obviously, ignore all this if he's in any way about to hurt himself, but otherwise, just go on about your business until he gets bored - all he is trying to do is get your attention and if you give it to him - or give in at all - the next tantrum will be twice as long - as he knows you will give in.... its' hard but it works!! However - if you can catch him just before the tantrum goes full throttle - distraction is a good ploy...
Post a Comment