Monday, November 12, 2012

Surprising Discoveries



Since moving to Southern California I have discovered quite a few things I was not expecting.  For anyone that lives in a warm climate, you will understand exactly what I am talking about.  It’s strange that I did not consider some of these, but until actually experiencing them, I had no idea what it was actually like.    

1.       My children no longer have eczema.  It miraculously cleared up within weeks of moving here.   

2.       My hair is in a constant state of frizz.  I literally am growing my hair out, because it’s too think & frizzy now to remain short. 

3.       We are in a perpetual state of summer. This includes clothing, mindset, food, everything. I know it’s strange that I did not expect this, but I still can’t get over how nice the weather actually is.  I thought it might rain or get cold at some point…but I have not seen it yet!  We drink margaritas and eat tacos like crazy (hardly think of red wine and pot-roast anymore). 

4.       I had to purchase Tupperware containers for most of our food items. We were either getting tons of aunts, or our food was going stale within days. The humidity permeates everything. 

5.       People drive FAST.  Like 10-20 miles an hour over the speed limits at all times. I am constantly getting the “Push-up honk” from behind.  It’s scary actually. 

6.       We know almost all of our neighbors.  And they are nice.  In Hailey we knew a few of our neighbors, but never actually hung out with them.  Here, we sit outside our garage and hangout while the kids ride bikes and play with all the neighbors.  It’s a really tight community, which is probably the most surprising thing of all. 


I wonder how long it will take me to get used to SoCal...if I ever truly will?! 




4 comments:

Marcy said...

All those things sound great (except the hair frizz & ants)!

Kimberly said...

I agree with Marcy. . .although I just purchased some fab winter sweaters that I am quite excited about and I think I enjoy comfort food almost more than I enjoy cheese and white wine in the summer. . .I do love capris and ankle pants though so I guess that would be good down there. :) I do think the tight knit community sounds awesome though. We love our neighbors and as much as we'd love a new house, leaving our neighbors would be really hard! Coming from the NW, I think we will always miss our seasons. :)

Janet said...

Becky-Went on Suzanne's blog and saw your link. So great to "see" you and the kids. Cooper just mentioned Holden yesterday. It's not constant, but every now and then he comes up to me and says, "Mommy, I miss Holden." He wants you guys to move back! :)
I hope you are well and enjoying your new digs-it sounds great!
~Janet (and Cooper)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are getting used to it more than you think. I'm so happy you know your neighbors, that is a great thing. Your hair would look gorgeous anywhere. I can't wait to visit and join you for tacos and margaritas and of course see the kiddos!