So this Tuesday a bunch of ESS co-workers and I volunteered to help at the Special Olympics that was in Sun Valley. Let me just say we had THE BEST TIME. These athletes were such an inspiration. Most of them are mentally delayed or have downs syndrome, but are extremely functioning...they cross country ski faster than I can! Our job for the day was to help escort the athletes to their race and make sure they were on the starting line. The best quote from the day came from John who was screaming for his coach at the starting line and said "COACH...I am in WAY over my head here...I think you are seriously underestimating how nervous I am." it was the best and still makes me laugh to think about. Luckily John came in second in his race :)
If you ever get the chance to volunteer for anything like this, DO IT. You will have a smile from ear to ear for the entire day...and maybe a week after if you’re lucky!
If you ever get the chance to volunteer for anything like this, DO IT. You will have a smile from ear to ear for the entire day...and maybe a week after if you’re lucky!
3 comments:
I love that quote and think the day sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing. . .I love all your snowy pics. :)
Kind of reminds me of when I went skiing for the first time and you guys left me on the mountain...people probably thought I was in the special olympics trying to get down the mountain!
Welcome to the blogging world, Becky! I feel like I haven't seen or talked to you in forever - maybe because it has been forever! I love the blog world - it helps me keep tabs on all my long lost friends! I can't wait to read more. Jinx
Post a Comment